When you think about the most iconic cannabis edibles out there, one of the first to come to mind is the delicious space cake.
Many different recipes are available online to create this tried and true classic, with multiple ingredient variations that allow for versatility and personalization to really make the recipe your own.
If you’re looking for a nostalgic edible to make that is as tasty as it is legendary, we highly recommend giving a space cake a try.
Because, honestly, who doesn’t love cake?
Today, we are going to teach you about the wondrous creation known as the space cake and outline an easy-to-follow recipe to show you how to make one for yourself.
What is Space Cake?
Basically, a space cake is the same as a regular cake, only better. It is, at least, in our opinion, because it has the bonus of containing an extra special ingredient in the form of our favourite green plant and all its fun little cannabinoids.
It’s a delicious alternative to other cannabis ingestion methods, such as smoking, vaping, or topicals. They’re extremely popular in Amsterdam, the weed capital of the world, and can be purchased at just about any coffee shop in the city.
However, as with other edibles, it is essential to note that it will take longer to feel the effects when consuming weed in this way.
We suggest not continuing to eat more until you start to “feel” high. By that point, you will likely have consumed more than necessary and could suffer adverse effects or make yourself sick.
In this way, it’s best to practice moderation, have a slice of cake, savour it, and then wait until the effects kick in. It’s kind of like eating regular cake, except, you know, it has weed in it.
But the concept of savouring it still stands.
Don’t worry. Everyone makes the “I don’t feel anything. I’ll just eat more” rookie mistake at least once with edibles. We’ve all been there.
It is also important to note that many weed lovers gravitate (get it?) towards space cake because it often produces a more intense high due to its potency.
This is because you can adjust how much bud or concentrate you’d like to incorporate into your cake recipe, either a little or a lot. Many opt for serving a super-strong space cake for special occasions. It certainly poses an alternative option to a boozy night on the town to celebrate, and you won’t feel the harsh side-effects of a hangover the next morning.
Really, it’s a win-win.
How to Make a Space Cake
Now that we’ve outlined the basics, it’s time to get to the fun part, teaching you how to make a space cake!
For those looking to create this tasty weed treat that can’t be beat, you will need the following ingredients:
- 8-10 grams of your choice of decarboxylated bud, or the equivalent strength in your chosen weed concentrate. If you have some already-vaped-bud somewhere, you can use that too and skip the decarboxylation step entirely!
- 1 ¾ cups of flour (flour with an “o-u,” not flower as in bud, just thought we’d clarify or else you’re going to have more space than cake)
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of milk (or lactose-free alternative, we see you lactose intolerant peeps!)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
You can also incorporate other tasty additions to personalize the recipe to your specific preferences, such as cocoa powder for all you chocolate lovers, vanilla extract, icing, chocolate chips – really, anything your stoner heart desires.
You will also need the following pieces of equipment:
- A grinder (if you’re using dry bud)
- A mixing bowl and a smaller bowl
- A mixing tool (spoon, spatula, etc.)
- A cake tin
- Non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper
- A microwave
- An oven
- A toothpick
- A cooling rack (optional)
Alright, now that you have all your materials, let’s get to the good stuff.
- If you’re opting to use dry weed, preheat your oven to between 104-113°C. Place your ground bud in an oven-safe container and heat for 30-40 minutes. This process of heating your weed is called decarboxylation. This process makes the cannabinoids in your weed bioavailable. If you have some already-vaped-bud stored somewhere, you can skip the decarboxylation step entirely and move onto step 4.
- Once this process is done, increase the temperature in the oven to 190°C.
- Place your butter in the smaller bowl and microwave it for 20 seconds or until it reaches a melty consistency.
- Combine your decarboxylated weed with the melted butter. If you’re using a tincture or distillate instead, now is when you’d want to incorporate it into the mix.
- Add all of your other ingredients, including milk, flour, sugar, eggs, weed butter and any additional ingredients of choice into the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly until you reach an even, batter-like consistency. It may take a few minutes to combine these ingredients effectively and ensure that the bud is distributed evenly throughout the mixture. If your batter consistency is too dry or too wet, mix in additional flour or milk as necessary.
- Grease the cake tin with non-stick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin, spreading it evenly.
- Pop that sucker in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, take a toothpick and stick it in the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If it comes out covered in batter, it needs another 5 minutes or so.
- Take it out and allow the cake to cool for roughly 20 minutes in the tin. After that, place it upside down on a cooling rack (if you have one) and wait for another 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, you can eat the space cake as is or decorate it with additional icing or other things to make it all sorts of pretty.
After you complete the above steps, all that’s left is to dig in and enjoy!
A Cake That Takes You to the Moon and Back
There are many reasons why space cake is one of the most classic and reliable go-to options for creating edibles for many tokers.
One of the biggest appeals is that there is no one way to make space cake outside of the basic core components. You can personalize a space cake to suit your specific tasty treat preferences or to fit the particular flavour vibe you’re feeling on any given day.
Whether it’s for a special occasion or you’re making one just because, be sure to practice caution when consuming space cake just as you would with any other type of edible.
Since it is in food form, it will take longer for your body to digest and feel the weed’s effects, anywhere between 30 minutes to up to 2 hours.
However, trust us. When you do, you are in for an out of this world experience that will allow you to understand firsthand just how the space cake got its name.
Bon appetit, friends!